Google
 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Redskins Safety Sean Taylor Dies From Gunshot Wound


The disturbing news of Sean Taylor being shot was heard for the first time over the radio on Monday for this writer, and the shock hasn't worn off. Then the "Breaking News" alert at the bottom of the Mike and Mike Radio Show on ESPN2 confirmed my worst fear, that Sean Taylor died. I can't say that I was a big fan or watched him intently during games, but I knew his name and knew that he was a Pro-Bowl player. It brought me back to a day my senior year of football at Norwich High School, when my Head Football Coach John Pluta sat all of the players down and began to speak about how precious our moments on earth are. He then told us of how a player from a school in our division that we would face in less than 2 weeks had died unexpectedly from spinal meningitis the day before. Like Taylor he was a football player, a young man, a life ahead of him, a family that loved him. Like Taylor, it didn't matter that I didn't know him personally. As a football player, you are a special breed of person, sacrificing your body, giving up "free time" to work out, working with teammates to find a common goal. It's a fraternity. A brotherhood. A bond. When one of your own dies, you die a little bit inside. The NFL will share a moment of silence at all games this weekend and every player will where Sean's 21 on their helmet. To the family, may your grief be overcome with the love that his teammates and friends had for him and the memories of fans enjoy still.

No comments:

Google